Dr. Michael Acurio has performed many surgical operations during his 25-plus years as an orthopedic surgeon. As is common in many surgeries, Dr. Michael Acurio likes to ensure patients are prepared for the operation, which ensures that patients know what expect when they go under the knife.
If you are a candidate for joint replacement or any other orthopedic surgery, you can keep the following information in mind as you plan for the treatment.
- It is important to understand that a number of healthcare professionals will be involved in your orthopedic surgery. One of the fundamental preparation tips is to ensure that every professional involved has the full details of your health history to ensure accurate decision-making.
- A general medical evaluation will be performed a few weeks prior to the operation. The assessment will gauge your health and suitability for anesthesia. These results should be forwarded alongside a surgical clearance to your surgeon.
- In case you will be donating your own blood, it is advisable that proper time schedules are set prior to the surgery. Iron supplements and good diets are recommended during this time.
- Your preparation for an orthopedic surgery requires an orthopedic examination. This should be done shortly before the scheduled surgery time. The examination is meant to review the entire procedure as well as answer any possible questions. A number of tests could be done including blood tests, urine sample, chest X-ray, and cardiogram.
- Any medical conditions or type of medications you are taking should be discussed with your surgeon to avoid unnecessary drug reactions.
Dr. Michael Acurio is a Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons and is affiliated with Specialists Hospital in Shreveport, Louisiana.
Follow Dr. Michael Acurio on Following Social Media Platforms: